A friend of mine is going through a really difficult time right now. I’m not going to say what’s going on, but this is an incredibly stressful situation.
Some days my friend is filled with sadness. Other days, she’s fine. Other days, she’s filled with anger. Then she’s back to grief. Then she’s okay again. And then she’s back to a rage so great that she wants to destroy something.
(And yes, this friend is in therapy right now, so no need to worry.)
She mentioned that she recently intentionally smashed something that she had owned a long time and that it was incredibly satisfying for a few minutes. I suggested that perhaps what she needed to do was something even bigger, more satisfying, and more destructive than just breaking a bowl or plate. Something that would stay with her as she navigates through these difficult weeks. Something that involves me and our other girlfriends, because I surely do not want to miss out on the possibility of destructive therapy with my girlfriends. Shoe shopping is fun, but how long does the experience really last in your mind? A flame thrower and an abandoned building, however, are forever.
(No, I personally do not have anger management issues and do not need therapy, thankyouverymuch.)
I brainstormed some ideas and then my friend and I decided that I’d post all this here so that you — my wonderfully creative and inventive readers — could offer some other ideas. Because I know y’all are brilliant and cunning. I’m expecting you to bring your A-game to the comments today.
Here are some the destructive but still emotionally supportive Girls’ Night/Day Outs that I’ve come up with so far:
- Bubble wrap + a trampoline. Lots and lots of bubble wrap. Miles of it. The large, loud kind that makes great noises when popped, not the small wussy kind.
- Paintball. We’d get all Sopranos on each other and innocent bystanders.
- A visit to a shooting range. See above, but without actually whacking anyone.
- Archery. Shooting long pointy things at targets, what’s not to love about that?
- Fireworks, since hardcore explosives are not an option for those of us who are unwilling to do any jail time.
- Piles of watermelons. A baseball bat or sledgehammer. Our best Gallagher impersonations.
- Throwing eggs at a brick wall or dropping them from a high spot.
- Hell, forget Gallagher, let’s take some watermelons to a high spot and drop them.
That’s just a starter list. I need more ideas for my friend because not only do I want to give her a great experience, but I think part of the fun of this will be thinking about it all and imagining the possibilities.
What are some other things she could do to vent her anger in a really satisfyingly destructive way? Be creative — you don’t necessarily have to be realistic or legal. And then after all that’s done, what are some constructive things my friend could do?