Chocomania: Getting bulky

Oh y’all, it has been far too long since I’ve done a Chocomania post. It’s not because I’ve given up chocolate. Oh no. To the contrary, even though I’m being careful about what I eat (healthy foods, smaller portions), chocolate is still very much a part of my daily diet, but a little different  from before.

We’ve all heard that dark chocolate, eaten in moderation, is supposed to be good for your health. I have grabbed ahold of that fact and am clinging onto it with all my might. Here, let me show you something in the Jenworld pantry:

Those, my friends, are jars of different chocolates. There’s a great local grocery store here in my town that sells little ziploc bags of chocolates and candies for next to nothing. (Seriously local peeps, if you’re not shopping there, you should be: Excellent high quality foods for mostly great prices.) Yesterday, I stocked up on dark chocolate covered cherries, cashews, almonds, peanuts, raisins, coffee beans, and pretzels and now have them stored in the glass jars shown above. (I cut the labels off the bags and attached them to the jars with rubber bands so that no one mixes up the goodies.) The girls were DEE-lighted when they got home from school yesterday and both had a few dark chocolate covered pretzels after dinner last night.

These days, my absolute favorite after-dinner treat is a small amount — think 5 or 6 pieces — of some sort of dark-chocolate covered yumminess. The nuts/raisins/pretzels cut the dark chocolate a bit — it can be a bit too intense — plus, I am of the opinion that they actually make my dessert a little healthier. (Almonds are good for you, you know.) I’m not scarfing it down by the cup-full and a little bit goes a long way. Some mornings, I’ll even have one or two chocolate covered coffee beans if I’m feeling a bit daring.

The fabulous thing about these chocolate treats is that they’re not a splurge at all. Unlike many of the other chocolates I’ve talked about here, these yummies are quite inexpensive — $2-5/bag and those bags will last several weeks, even with three Jenworld females noshing on them nearly daily.

I don’t know if all bulk chocolates are this good. Probably not. But the point is that good chocolate does not have to be expensive or exclusive. The bulk aisle at your grocery store might just have some hidden gems in there.

What kinds of chocolate are you eating these days? What’s good? What’s crap? What should we all know about?

This entry was posted in chocomania. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Chocomania: Getting bulky

1. Forbidden Chocolate. I’m not eating any these days. Some brands of dark chocolate have up to 13 grams of sugar per ounce. That’s more than I allow myself for a snack.
    Your new portion control system is probably a good way to avoid overdoing it.

2. melissawest says:

well, I’m definitely cured of cheap chocolates from now. Totally addicted to those Ritter Sport hazelnut squares you introduced me to about a year ago.

3. Daisy says:

Delicious. Our neighborhood meat market also has organic and locally made candies. I think I’ll check their aisles. I already buy their coffees in small bags when I’m buying gifts. Dark chocolate? Yum.

4. Sadly, I haven’t had any chocolate in a while. Must change that!

5. Lisa says:

Never met a chocolate I didn’t like. Love to treat myself to one good piece now and then but seriously a few M & M’s will do it. Have committed to healthy eating, more water, and exercise during Lent. Let the fun begin.

Portion control is the ticket, my brain knows that, and my body should too, by now. The way you have this set up, you will succeed, no doubt, Jen. Because it truly is all about how much you eat, not what you eat. Every Frenchwoman knows this!!! lol. Truly, we would all say bye-bye to “diets” if we could hold true to this method of eating. Depriving yourself of a food that shoots great bursts of delight thru the brain is a recipe for failure.

Sadly, I can also tell you that post-menopause has taken away my great delight in chocolate. My Vosges mini-bars of high end chocolate bites of decadence, have sat uneaten (for the most part) in the bottom drawer of my refrigerator for months now. They do not call my name any longer at my grocery store. I try every now and then to take a small bite of one high-end chocolate or another, and come up with . . . nothing. I can’t believe I’m at the end of my chocolate career, but sad to say, this might be it.

Lesson? Enjoy your chocolate while you can! It might be a thing of your past when you get to my stage of life–and I arrived at the post-M stage early, so doubly frustrating. I’m now a lemon/citrus person. Never woulda thought that could happen . . .

7. Yum! Message me with where you got these goodies. I love dark chocolate almonds or pretzels and like you said a little goes a long way!

8. Renee says:

I love my chocolate, but I much prefer the milky variety. Ritter Sport is great –I just discovered a raspberry filled bar they make. Extremely yummy. However, nougat and marzipan with chocolate is my all-favorite treat –like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozartkugel

Luckily, they don’t sell Mozartkugel where I live. Every once in a while my mom will send me some, and I hoard them. They’re mine –no sharing.

9. Kirstin says:

After reading through your post, I literally went back again to look at the picture – pure heaven!!!! I really love dark chocolate! Dark covered pretzels are pure bliss. Then you sent me that dark chocolate bar with salt and I was blown away. It’s really the combination of sweet and salty that takes me away :-)

10. Greens and Blacks or Lindt Chocolate Chilli! yum

11. alex says:

Those look wonderful! I wish we had a place like that to get delicious treats. I had a Cadbury Cream Egg the other day and it was pretty good. :)

12. Susan says:

Jen,
    I eat chocolate EVERYDAY. :)
    There is a teacher who I work closely with at school.
    She keeps a jar of dark chocolate…hershey’s bliss…we all re-stock the pantry.
    I eat three pieces each day either at morning snack time, or PM snack time.
    YUmMy! :)
    Love your pantry idea…Martha would be PROUD, girl! :)