Snuggies and more

For months now, I’ve been hearing about this thing called a Snuggie.  I’ve never seen one in real life, but I read so much about them on enough blogs, Twitter, and Facebook that I finally went to the website and poked around for five minutes did some serious research.

Wow, that is, um, interesting.  It’s basically a wardrobe for couch potatoes.

What I cannot figure out is if the Snuggie has velcro or something that makes it close in the back so that you don’t  get a cold draft down your neck and further.  I mean, what’s the point of this thing if you can’t get 100% coverage with no cool breezes?

I will say this, I love the video, which I ended up watching twice — with the sound off.  I am sure that the music sucked and the narrative was crappy, plus I was too focused on the acting, which was so. very. bad.

If you get a moment, check out the photo on the Snuggie main web page — the one with a man and a woman wearing his ‘n’ her’s Snuggies and then snuggling together on their sofa.

Awww, how sweet.

Not.

Pete and I are scheduled to wear his ‘n’ her Snuggies on the 13th of Never.

Not even the Snuggie Sutra will convince me otherwise.

On a related note, around the time I decided to write this post, I heard about a similar (okay, identical) product called the Slanket.

A Slanket?

Think about that for a moment.

Doesn’t that just sound like something nasty you might pick up in a third world country?

“Dude, I wish I could come surfing with you, but I’m still getting over this bad case of slankets that I got in Gabon.”

See what I mean?

Jabba the Hut called.  He wants his winter wardrobe back.

The Slanket.

How in the hell did they come up with that name?

sloppy + blanket?

slothful + blanket?

slovenly+ blanket?

sluggish + blanket?

Pete posited that it was sleepy + blanket.  Based on my research, I’m thinking it might be sleeves + blanket, but I’m still not sure.

No matter what, I don’t think either  a Snuggie or a Slanket is for for me.  Because I just know that wearing one would put me one loaded nacho away from watching reality TV and welcoming Sloth and other vices into my life.  This excellent article at The Gawker says it better than I can.

Seriously though, if you are thinking about getting a Snuggie or Slanket and need an erudite comparison of the two, from what I’ve read, the Slanket is the better buy, even though it’s more expensive, because the fleece is thicker and warmer and the product provides better coverage, particularly for taller or larger people.

So tell me, where are you on the Snuggie/Slanket spectrum?  Do you have one?  Do you secretly want one?

Really?  Do I even have to add the disclaimer here that I am not employed by the companies mentioned, nor was  I paid talk about their products?

Oh yeah, and don’t forget about that giveaway I have going on this week.  It has been interesting to see how many lurkers have come out of the closet since I’m giving away stuff.  Apparently, I have to buy your comment love.

25 Responses to Snuggies and more

1. I have these other things called bathrobes, pj’s and sweats–hideous in their own right–but functional and less, as you put it, Jabba-the-Hut-like.

And while I do agree with you that ‘slanket’ sounds more like a disease than something inviting to lounge in, to me it seems like something you’d pick up at a skanky strip club. Or maybe that would be a ‘skanket’? Either way–I do not want to own one ; )

2. daysgoby says:

Yeah. Um. I have this thing I like to use for warmth on the couch. It’s portable, always toasty warm, comes with a lovely heartbeat sound under my ear and laughs in all the right places.

It’s my husband.

3. alex says:

I have the Slanket!!! My mom got it for me for Christmas last year; I think from QVC. And this year, she got my son a kiddie Snuggie (and he loves it). My poor husband feels left out. The one thing I will say is that it is nice to be all covered up and still have my hands free. And I do like making our yellow lab wear it and then take several pictures of her. :) But, it is basically like wearing your robe backwards. And I would never, I repeat, never, wear mine out of the house.

I don’t think it would be anything I would have purchased myself, though.

4. paperdiva says:

Hey! I watch reality tv and have the tendencies of a sloth, but I don’t own either the slanket or snuggie.
    Nor would I. Someone suggested I get one to wear at sporting events and I shot them the evil death ray eyes.

5. Lacey Bean says:

I got a slanket last year and I love it. The Snuggie is the poor man’s Slanket. (No, I’m not a snob about it at all.) :)

Jabba the Hutt!!! You KILL me. *wipes tears*

I think ‘Slanket’ sounds like a term for someone from whom you would contract the disease, rather than the disease itself.

Oh, and I wouldn’t buy either. As another poster said, I have a big ‘ol bathrobe and sweats that keep me warm when I’m lounging on the couch.

paperdiva – that actually sounds like a brilliant idea to me! Football games can get down right nasty cold. It’d be perfect! You could still hold your hot chocolate without sacrificing blanket coverage!

I was given a knock-off slanket/snuggie. As in probably from the dollar store. It’s zebra striped and not fleece (polyester I think). It is still in its box awaiting donation at the local Salvation Army. Because I.Don’t.Think.So. Gah.

9. melissawest says:

I confess I mocked these too–they are SILLY. But oddly comfortable since I now own one thanks to this Christmas’s Pirate Game winnings. I really like mine. The sleeve thing is pretty nice. But they’re still ridiculous.

10. kys says:

I don’t own a Snuggie. I think you can just wear your robe backwards and get the same effect.

11. Snuggie Sutra — oh my god!

12. jenn says:

I’m on the OH HELL NO end of the spectrum. My 9 year old, on the other hand, desperately wants one. She actually brought me the Justice (store for tween girls) flyer and showed me that Justice makes Snuggies (all bedazzled and trendy). Way to help with the country’s obesity issues, Justice!

Plus they make them for pets. I saw them at The Wal-Mart. Swear.

13. Kirstin says:

Once again, you have me laughing all the way through and even as I write this!!!! The commercials always crack me up as I think, “what next?!”

14. ssheers says:

We have two snuggies. My younger daughter, who is always cold, wears hers every day. My older daughter, who is always warm, hardly wears hers at all.

If you are not lying on a couch, you need to wear one frontwards and one backwards for full coverage.

Yesterday, my older daughter learned why it’s not a good idea to wear a snuggie while going up stairs.

15. coftheu says:

It cracks me up that these are all the rage now. I had one about 25 years ago that was called a Snuggy Sack or something. It was really a blanket with snaps. It was thin and yucky. Marketing is everything I guess!!

16. Fannie says:

It’s hot flash city over here – I’m trying to get RID of layers!

17. Brightside Susan says:

I don’t know why everyone is so cold that a sweater and a pair of socks isn’t cozy enough…my daughter got a Harry Potter snuggy which she spread on her bed like a blanket.

18. Brandy says:

Lol I was cooking in my sons snuggie the other night!! :)

You have to watch the parody of the snuggie ad–the WTF blanket.

20. erin says:

Hahahaha! I just got a snuggie for Christmas. My mom’s reaction when I told her that was what I wanted was pretty funny.

I didn’t know the slanket is actually better. Darn, should have done my research!

21. My daughter has a snuggie. Her brother’s comment when he tried it? “I can’t figure out if I’m wearing it or it’s wearing me?!”

22. gloriana says:

I didn’t have any strong opinions about either product… until I saw the Snuggie for Dogs. Seriously, it’s gone way too far.

23. None for me, please. Knowing me I’d trip and fall on it anyway, or trap a cat in there.

24. Jaina says:

I don’t feel strongly about them one way or the other. They look interesting, but I think I’m probably fine in a sweatshirt with a blanket, if necessary.