White Christmas (a.k.a. snOMG!)

You’ve all heard about how the East Coast was slammed with massive snow on Friday and Saturday, right?  Well, Jenworld is right smack dab in the middle of Virginia and we got lots of snow here.

[Can you see the two cars in front of the house?  The one on the right belongs to our snowbound friend and Pete spent two hours digging it out on Sunday so that she could make it the rest of the way home.  The one on the left is ours and is Monday's shoveling project.]

How much snow did we get?

This photo was taken about six hours before it stopped snowing, during which we got another two inches or so.

But never fear, we were prepared for anything, which is good, as we had a few extra people here for the weekend, who came by on Friday and weren’t able to leave until Sunday afternoon.

With seven of us here, no one got bored.  At any given time, the four girls might have been playing the Wii, rearranging the dollhouse, watching a movie, or lounging in the Secret Attic with a stack of Choose Your Own Adventure books.

While I am the weekday cook, Pete is our weekend chef.  We had chocolate chip pancakes one morning and hash browns and eggs the next day.  On Saturday, he made enchiladas and slow-cooked pinto beans.  Delish.

The girls lived in their jammies all weekend:

Yes, that is a sleep mask on her forehead.  Doesn’t everyone have one of those?

Of course, all that snow meant that someone would need to shovel it.

We should have slipped that guy a $20 to come do our driveway.

Instead, I got out and carved a path to the street.

My next goal is to widen that path to an actual car-width so that we can get the car back up in the garage.  It’s down on the street because, when Pete took it out on Friday afternoon, he couldn’t get back up again.  At that point there was less than 2″ of snow on the ground.

Here’s a photo that proves that Pete does actually wear long pants on occasion:

Meanwhile, the girls spent some time outside.

Elegant made snow angels…

… while Graceful worked on a snow fort.

Yeah, I know, neither girl is wearing a hat.  It was a balmy 33 F out there by then, so really it was almost like spring.

Eventually, we all ended up back inside.  The girls took showers and put on jammies.  I napped on the sofa.  And Pete took advantage of Mother Nature’s bounty on the back porch:

Priorities, you know.

So it appears from the long-term forecast that we’re going to be living with snow for a while, as it’s going to take a long time to melt.  This will be the first white  Christmas that I can remember ever having in my entire life.  I’m very excited … as long as it doesn’t mess with my extended family’s plans to travel here on Christmas Day.

And guess what’s in the forecast for either Thursday or Friday?  Not just snow, but a wintery mix.  Ugh.

But no worries for now.  It’s our Christmas break and we’re having lots of fun!

24 Responses to White Christmas (a.k.a. snOMG!)

1. Yeah, we’ve got a couple feet here after the past day. But our break from school doesn’t start till Wed at noon; and right now my daughter is lamenting that there appears to be school tomorrow….
    Love that beer in the snow; now that is Thinking!

2. jenn says:

Now you know what it looks like here from Dec. through March! That looks like the perfect snowbound weekend. Tell Elegant that my youngest, Kate (9), also swears by sleep masks. Hers is pink. :)

3. I was worrying about you! I’m glad that the girls are enjoying the snow. Meanwhile, here in the great white north, we’ve barely got enough snow for the kids to play in! Not that I’m complaining….the ground is covered, which is all I need for a white Christmas, and the roads are cleared…which makes me a happy woman.

4. alex says:

What a great way to spend the weekend! I love how, instead of complaining about the weather, Jenworld embraced it. :) We just got a light dusting, not enough to make a fuss over. Although it was snowing while we took our son to see the lights at the zoo and it made it even more special.

5. mpearl65 says:

Happy white christmas! You got a whopper of a storm–so glad you were tucked away in a warm and happy Jenworld. We got about a foot yesterday and what a wonderful thing–a day of baking and Legos and playing in the snow. I’m jealous that you’re already on Christmas break–good for you!

Yay! Well except for the shovelling. You need to borrow Murray.

Glad the girls embraced the snow. Snowforts rock! We have on in the front yard right now. Good thing you stocked up on books and chocolate. And Pete built himself a Canadian Beer Fridge!

7. Last photo — good use of snow!

Rick dug a path to my shed/studio (I HAVE to get used to calling it a studio!) since that’s where Santa hid the presents that STILL aren’t wrapped. And today is wrapping day.

Yay! I love white Christmas! So glad the girls are getting the chance to enjoy it without being so bundled up they can hardly move.

I wonder where I put my recipe for snow ice cream…the girls would so dig that. Although the snow is probably a little past prime at this point.

9. paperdiva says:

Yeah, pictures!
    I can’t believe this will be your first ever white Christmas! That blows my mind. It sure looks like you were well prepared for it, and with houseguests too! Snow forts rock :)
    For me, the only redeeming quality of long winters is the ability to stick stuff outside in the snow. Most days I have something out there!

10. Kristabella says:

I’m kind of jealous of your snow! We haven’t had a snow storm like that in Chicago for awhile. Although, since we’re used to snow, we’d still have to come into work and there would be no snow days.

11. Kathy says:

That is so awesome! Pajamas all day, choc. chip pancakes, snow angels and a couple of goodly cold beers… it certainly was the perfect snowbound weekend!
    PS. That’s some mighty impressive snow shoveling, Jen!

12. I LOVED Choose Your Own Adventure books when I was little. I have an adult one called ‘Pretty Little Mistakes’ which is fantastic (and great for long plane rides…I bought it before one of many when I used to travel all the time for work)

Enjoy the snow. Living in Michigan I see far too much of it and am always happy when we aren’t the ones hit with it.

13. Violet says:

My sister lives in Stafford, VA, and she reported 2 feet of snow. I’m driving out there on Wednesday and I’m so excited to see it! And them, of course!

Merry Christmas!

14. SnOMG indeed! But what a fun weekend, except for the shoveling. I love Pete’s beer cooler!!!

15. Kris says:

You’ve never had a white Christmas?! Jen, Jen, Jen. I am so sad for you. But so happy that this year you get one!! It’s supposed to snow for us tomorrow. I hope the snow lasts till Friday – it would suck to live in Utah and not have a white Christmas. There’s just no point in having cold without snow.

16. melissawest says:

You could totally be a northerner with all the adapting! We do all those things here every year! Just one tip: you park your car at the end of your driveway when it’s going to snow bad–then you only have to shovel out your car and not the entire length of the driveway.
    I love having a walk-out cooler 5 months out of the year!

17. Fannie says:

I love the big snows when the temperature warms up enough to go out and really enjoy it! Tell Pete he looks pretty cute in long pants! ;)

18. oh, what fun! we have had a permanent 1 inch down all week – not enough to be really good fun but just enough to make it pretty!!!!!

Hope it all melts an hour before y’all have to drive to work and the kids go back to school!!!

19. I loved the snow! I was so happy we got it here! I rent this year and my landlord did all the shoveling! IT WAS HEAVEN!

What a winter wonderland! Ahhhhhhhhh it looks like fun.

21. You sure make it look like fun. Merry Christmas!

22. Kirstin says:

Such fun indoors when the snow is falling! I’m very impressed by the path you made – that’s really deep snow. That’s a serious workout!

23. Skywalker says:

The last picture – with the beer in the snow…are you sure Pete isn’t from Alabama because that seems like something we would do back home.

24. Jaina says:

I was in NC at the time that storm hit up North, but where we ended up in VA was too coastal to have much snow and it was gone before we got there. We saw snow during our vacation, but it never actually snowed where we were.